- Wartime magazine issue 82
Wartime magazine issue 82
By Official magazine of the Australian War Memorial
Wartime Magazine (Autumn 2018) - 1918 The final year
- Saving Amiens by Peter Burness. The 9th Brigade stemmed a German counter-attack at First Villers-Bretonneux.
- The inner Monash by Peter Pedersen. There was more to Australia's greatest general than success on the battlefield.
- The beginning of the end by Hew Strachan. Events in motion by 1918 moved the war to a faster end than expected.
- The "obscene peace" of 1918 by David Sutton. Eight months before the Armistice of November 1918, Germany struck a crucial deal with Russia.
- The last roll of the dice by Steven R. Welch. Ludendorff's brilliant tactics were not enough in the German spring offensives of 1918.
- Nurses on the Western Front by Emma Campbell. Innovation, efficiency and courage underpinned the role of these women.
- The vigil of Empire by Thomas Rogers. Poetry shows that Australians joined the fight in South Africa in support of the British Empire.
- Britain's invasion nightmare by David G. Morgan-Owen. How popular fear of invasion had a significant effect on British preparations for war before 1914.
- "They'll come looking for you" by Ashley Ekins. The first enemy attack on Fire Support Base Coral in May 1968 could have ended in disaster.
- Plus regular features including Reflections, Mail Call and Book Reviews.
Details: Magazine, published 2018.
Format: Soft cover, illustrations, 72 pages.
Dimensions: 29.7 cm (h) x 20.2 cm (w) 0.5 cm (d) / 210 grams.